Thursday, August 21, 2008

GI Joe: a real time American strategy game.

I've been trying to backtrack some postings I did on another forum I made about video games we may see in the future, but I'm jumping ahead and talking about one here I made just the other day. Now I don't know the biz or have any more incite in it than the rest of you, I just have a vivid imagination. So let's begin.

If you've been keeping track of events in the worlds of movies, comics, video games, and generally all things geekie, you've probably heard that a GI Joe movie is in the works. Now you can find details about the movie at their website, but rest assured that Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are very much a part of it. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if Snake Eyes is the focus of a movie tie-in game, either as part of an overall game or for the whole experience. My only question is how is he going to communicate? Text messaging? Steven Hawking style? Etcha Sketch? I kid but while it might be a difficult gaming experience, if anyone can pull it off it's Snake Eyes. This isn't my big prediction, it's just something I wanted to throw out there.
Now my big prediction is about something that I'm surprised hasn't been attempted in the past, at least not that I know of. I've never been a big fan of Real Time Strategy games like Starcraft, Lord of the Rings: War of the Rings, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer, or the original Warcraft and WarHammer games, however I've been thinking lately it is ideal for a GI Joe game.
VS.


REAL TIME STRATEGY

With more than a hanger-full of vehicles on both sides, there appears to be plenty of source material for a game like this. Although it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if they made new vehicles or updated old ones. I remember this HUGE vehicle from the toy line and cartoon called The General, that would be cool to see. I didn't have it, but I did have a vehicle called the Battle Wagon. It had this missile launcher, a winch, side lazers and was even motorized. A prominent Cobra vehicle in the game would probably be the H.I.S.S. and I'd love to see Metal Head in the game, that crazy cyborg missile-launcher

Aside from being fun and a fantasy come true, I mostly see it as a good way to get back to your childhood days (or for some of you it might have been just yesterday) when you played with your GI Joes. Only this time you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on all the vehicles and figures.

I think it would be cool if you could play as GI Joe or Cobra, maybe even have the opportunity to switch sides during the game. Admit it, the prospect of ordering troops and shouting either "Yo Joe!" or "Cobraaaaaaa!" has been a fantasy of your's for years.

What vehicles would you like to see, and would you play as GI Joe or Cobra?
Also, if you happen to be a GI Joe buff, a GI Joe wiki is in the works and needs soldiers to contribute some info.

If you are a game developer and like my idea, just remember who had the idea first.

No comments: